From: www-voice-request@w3.org [mailto:www-voice-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Bjoern Hoehrmann
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 2:15 PM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: VoiceXML 2.1: <data> XML media types

Dear Voice Browser Working Group,

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-voicexml21-20050613/ states in section 5

  If the name attribute is present, and the returned document is XML,
  the VoiceXML interpreter must expose the retrieved content via a
  read-only subset of the DOM as specified in Appendix D.

It's not clear how implementations must determine whether a document is XML. For example, if the document is a HTTP resource labeled with a media type, which media types would indicate that the content is "XML"?
It seems a text/plain document would not be "XML", but a application/
xhtml+xml document would; please change the document such that it is
clear which media types must and must not be considered "XML" by Voice- XML 2.1 implementations.

The document also notes

  If the media type of the retrieved content is "text/xml" but the
  content is not well-formed XML, the interpreter throws error.badfetch.

It's not clear whether this also applies if the media type is e.g.
application/xml, please change the document such that this is clarified.

regards,
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de