Re: VoiceXML 2.1: overriding parameter entities

* Matt Oshry wrote:
>1) Please elaborate on what one would hope to accomplish by modifying
>the DTD. By doing so one would have far less chance of authoring a
>document that is interoperable across all implementations of VoiceXML
>2.1.

That does not really matter; if you want to add some allowed attributes
for some strange reasons you must not use e.g.

<!DOCTYPE vxml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD VOICEXML 2.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml21/vxml.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY % next.attrs "...">
]>

to do it, but you may use

<!DOCTYPE vxml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD VOICEXML 2.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml21/vxml.dtd" [
  <!ATTLIST ...>
]>

to do it. It is not clear to me why one may add attlist declarations but
must not redefine parameter entities. It is not easy to check whether
the internal subset re-defines parameter entities in conformance tools
like <http://validator.w3.org> so I suggested to drop this requirement.

>2) We find the following statement particularly confusing as C.1 of 2.1
>clearly states "A conforming VoiceXML 2.1 document is a well-formed [XML]
>document ..."
>
>  "it is not required that VoiceXML 2.1 are valid XML documents"

Consider

  <!DOCTYPE vxml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD VOICEXML 2.1//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml21/vxml.dtd" [
    <!ATTLIST vxml xml:base CDATA #REQUIRED>
  ]>
  <vxml xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/vxml" version="2.1">
  <var name="scripts_baseuri" expr="'http://www.example.org/'"/>
  <form>
    <script srcexpr="scripts_baseuri + 'lib/util.js'"/>
  </form>
  </vxml>

This document is not a valid XML document. Is there a conformance
requirement in the current draft that would render the document non-
conforming?