Re: Vowel Epenthesis and Audiograms

From: Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:49:25 +0000
To: "Jim Tobias" <tobias@inclusive.com>
Cc: "'Al Gilman'" <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>, <www-voice@w3.org>, "'Harvey Bingham'" <hbingham@acm.org>

"Jim Tobias" <tobias@inclusive.com> writes:

> There is a clear potential benefit for people who are hard of hearing or in
> noisy environments, but this may be even more valuable when the speech rate
> is set high, such as by screen reader users.

Sounds interesting, and it gives me two ideas:

- there could be an attribute on the grapheme element, indicating that this
  particular grapheme contains a more accessible pronunciation:

  <lexeme>
    <grapheme>huge</grapheme>
    <phoneme>hju:dz</phoneme>
    <phoneme class="articulated">hju:u:u:u:dzzzz</phoneme>
  </lexeme>

- or why not have some SSML markup (prosody, for instance) there too?

  maybe _that_'s streching the thread out far...

Max.