Re: VoiceXML 2.1: VoiceXML 2.0 support

From: Dirk Schnelle <dirk@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:00:52 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-voice@w3.org

Hi Bjoern,

>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-voicexml21-20050613/ notes that
>
> [...]
>   Interpreters that support both VoiceXML 2.0 and VoiceXML 2.1
>   must support the ability to transition from an application of
>   one version to an application of another version.
> [...]
>
> This implies that VoiceXML 2.1 implementations are not required to
> support VoiceXML 2.0 documents, it's however not clear why. Please
> either change the document such that 2.1 implementations must also
> support 2.0 documents or such that it is explained why VoiceXML
> authors might find implementations that only support VoiceXML 2.1.

I think that the reason is given in the paragraph above:

[...]
While the features of VoiceXML 2.1 are orthogonal additions to [VXML2],
a VoiceXML application should not mix documents of both types. The
handling of a single application that mixes VoiceXML 2.0 and VoiceXML
2.1 functionality is platform-specific. Reasonable behavior in this case
ranges the gamut from successful execution to the throwing of an error.
[...]

IMHO the idea is that there should be a clear statement of the authors
if they write for 2.1 or 2.0.

/dirk