Re: Notes on the say-as note

From: Eira Monstad <eiram@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:12:32 +0200
To: "Pawson, David" <David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk>, www-voice@w3.org

On Tue, 31 May 2005 15:07:44 +0200, Pawson, David
<David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk> wrote:

>     > Hours are restricted to 0-23. In Norwegian, and probably other
>     > languages as well, 24 is often used instead of 00.
>    I have been reminded off-list that 24 and 00 are not the
>     same.
>

> http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime
>
>      YYYY = four-digit year
>      MM   = two-digit month (01=January, etc.)
>      DD   = two-digit day of month (01 through 31)
>      hh   = two digits of hour (00 through 23) (am/pm NOT allowed)
>      mm   = two digits of minute (00 through 59)
>      ss   = two digits of second (00 through 59)
>      s    = one or more digits representing a decimal fraction of a
> second
>      TZD  = time zone designator (Z or +hh:mm or -hh:mm)
>
> 00-23 for hours.
> I'd rather stay with iso8601.

I quote from the say-as note:

"Note that the "time" formats specified here do not correspond to ISO 8601
[ISO 8601:2000] time types. This is because the purpose of the say-as time
type is different; it is to allow a synthesis processor to be able to
correctly interpret as times strings commonly written in human-readable
documents."

Since the intention is not to be iso-compliant in the first place, it
would make sense to do something that works internationally. The datetime
format works fine for times intended to be machine-readable, but is not
sufficient for human-readable documents in an international perspective.

--
Eira Monstad
Core QA