Re: Request for comments for Media Type registration ofapplication/ccxml+xml

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:03:56 +0900
To: RJ Auburn <rj@voxeo.com>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: 'Dan Connolly' <connolly@w3.org>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, <w3c-archive@w3.org>, <ietf-types@iana.org>, <ietf-xml-mime@imc.org>, <www-voice@w3.org>

At 13:05 04/07/27 -0700, RJ Auburn wrote:

>On 07/21/2004 22:03, "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org> wrote:
> > These comments are as much about the general "IETF MIME type
> > registration from W3C recommendation" as they are about this
> > particular registration:
>Martin: Would you be the person to handle/address the general issues?

Yes. For everybody's information, RJ is following the procedure laid
out at http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html#Planned.
Because he is the first to do so, this is a very good case to see
where we have to tweak that description. I have already made two
1) Added a sentence "Make sure that this part of the specification
    is readable on its own, without the context of the specification."
    [for further details, a good example is probably better than a
     lot of explanations]
2) Added a sentence "To make it easier for your WG to track comments
    on the Media Type section, you may cross-post the comments list
    for your specification."
    [I want to leave this to the group for the moment. They have to
     show that they addressed comments to the IESG, so having that
     documented in a last call table may have advantages and

Also, I'm planning to add some pointers to examples to the above
description, once we have them. That should make it easier for
others to do this.

> > Your translation from HTML to ASCII left out line breaks
> > before heading lines, which made your template hard
> > to read.
>If needed I can resubmit a nicer looking version. Let me know...

I guess that can wait for the next time you send something anyway,
but I hope this will be soon.

> >> Published specification:
> >>
> >> This media type registration is for CCXML documents as
> >> described by this specification.
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure if this is necessary, but I'd expect
> > if the template were to appear elsewhere to see
> > a bibliographic citation, e.g.,
> >
> > "Voice Browser Call Control: CCXML Version 1.0", W3C
> > Working Draft, 30 April 2004, W3C, <http://www.w3.org/TR/ccxml/>
> >
> > Is "this specification" (or the whole specification) precise
> > enough?  In some other cases, a single W3C recommendation defines
> > many different data types. Perhaps it would be useful to
> > say, somewhere, e.g., that the MIME type refers to XML bodies that
> > conform to the DTD/Schema referenced in Appendix B and C and
> > interpreted by the rules in the cited specification.
>Pointing at the schema/dtd sections seems reasonable.  How is this for text:
>Published specification:
>     This media type registration is for XML bodies that
>     conform to the DTD/Schema referenced in Appendix B and C and
>     interpreted by the rules this specification

'this specification' -> 'of this specification'

> >> Person & email address to contact for further information:
> >>
> >> RJ Auburn, <rj@voxeo.com>.
> >
> > Should there be a W3C contact as well?
>Dave/Max/Martin: Thoughts?

Adding the name of a staff contact or so might be a good idea.

> >> Intended usage:
> >>
> >> Author/Change controller:
> >>
> >> The CCXML specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
> > Consortium's
> >> Voice Browser Working Group. The W3C has change control over these
> >> specifications.
> >
> > Or perhaps the W3C contact address should be listed here.
>Dave/Max/Martin: Thoughts?

The W3C is 'on the Web', not at a particular physical location.
This kind of wording has been used in some previous registrations,
and should be okay.

Regards,    Martin.