Re: Neutral gender?

From: Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:08:41 -0500
Cc: www-voice@w3.org
To: Roopa Trivedi <rotrived@cisco.com>

Some voices may sound deliberately robotic or be "fun" voices that
sounds like an alien or musical.
Gender may bit apply to some of these.

I realize that doesn't entirely answer your question, but its probably
one reason this exists.

On Feb 18, 2004, at 7:29 PM, Roopa Trivedi wrote:

> Hi,
> SSML 1.0 spec says that
>
> "gender: optional attribute indicating the preferred gender of the
> voice
> to speak the contained text. Enumerated values are: "male", "female",
> "neutral""
>
> Does this mean that "neutral" is yet another type of gender supported
> by
> some TTS vendors? Or, does it mean that the user does not wish to
> specify a gender and thus uses "neutral" to leave the gender selection
> elsewhere.
>
> Thanks,
> Roopa
AndyT (lordpixel - the cat who walks through walls)
A little bigger on the inside

         (see you later space cowboy ...)