 From: www-voice-request@w3.org on behalf of Doug Schepers
 Sent: Wed 4/7/2004 4:48 PM
 To: www-voice@w3.org
 Subject: Re: OT: TTS Engine

 Hi, everyone-

 Wow.

 I did not expect so many replies, so quickly. What a friendly community!
 Many thanks to all of you.

 Most of the private replies I have gotten have pointed me to Festival. I'd
 looked at Festival, and I'm pleased with the resulting sound synthesis, but
 I cannot seem to find any browser plugin. There are a few references to it,
 but none that lead to active links. Does anyone have any information about
 this? If neccessary, I might be able to build one myself from the Festival
 code, but I'd rather not.

 Not to sound ungrateful, but the solution I hoped to find was a browser
 plug-in, preferrably C/C++ based (so that it has as few requirements as
 possible, which is a bit of a limitation of Java, these days; the excellent
 samples I tried were a bit more of a download than I think most users can
 bear, and were not as seamless as I think they'd need to be for purposes of
 accessibility).

 Just to supply as much information as possible, I'm trying to create a
 talking calculator (as a simple prototype) to be viewed in a browser. A very
 early version is here:
 http://www.schepers.cc/testbed/accessibility/SelfDescribingSVG.html

 This example uses the Microsoft TTS engine, which is fine, but not
 cross-platform. I guess I'd thought that there would be more XML TTS engines
 by now, as I'm hoping for a generic solution. Ultimately, I want to create a
 much more complex SVG+TTS accessible application, and I want it to be
 available for anyone.

 An alternate solution that occurs to me is to host a TTS engine on my site,
 and stream the sound, but that hardly seems like the best solution.

 Again, many thanks!
 -Doug

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin@wipro.com immediately