RE: Question about using TTS via the prompt element in VXML

From: Tracy Boehrer <tboehrer@calltower.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:35:14 -0800
To: "Roopa Trivedi" <rotrived@cisco.com>, <www-voice@w3.org>
I can't speak for W3C of course, but I can't imagine how being able to specify a TTS vendor would be portable, or even belong in the spec.  I would think this is a platform specific extension.

The way we handle it is our TTS server can be configured to start an arbitrary number of TTS engines (from various vendors).  But the script writer can only access them based on speech markup elements/attributes.  Namely "voice", "gender", "age", "language", etc...  That way, if we change the vendor for the "Adult Female", the script writer doesn't know (or in most cases care).