RE: SISR: Comments on SISR April 2003 working draft

From: Sturtevant Dean <Dean.Sturtevant@comverse.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:21:15 -0500
To: "'Wyss, Felix'" <FelixW@inin.com>, www-voice@w3.org

I have a comment on one of Mr. Wyss's proposals. Note I am not a member of
any W3C committee:

He said:
  3) Clarification of GRR of external rule references

Section 3.3.2 does not specify how the GRN of external rule references
can be accessed in the referencing rule.  I suggest that the GRN of
external rule references is only available as $$ and its text variable
as $$$.text in the referencing rule.  Thus, there is no equivalence to
"$rulename" for external rule references.  If the value of the GRR is
required past the next rule reference, it has to be assigned to a
temporary variable.
An alternate solution would be to extend the syntax of external rule
references to allow specifying an alias for the GRR.  For example:

  $rule =
    $<http://example.com/foo.gram>^<$foo>
    $<http://example.com/bar.gram>^<$bar>
    {$.result = $foo + $bar};

I respond:
There's no need for new syntax here. It seems that the following should work
(as is implemented on our platform):
  $rule =
    $<http://example.com/foo.gram#foo>
    $<http://example.com/bar.gram#bar>
    {$.result = $foo + $bar};

- Dean

Dean Sturtevant
Comverse - Voice Solutions
100 Quannapowitt Pkwy, Wakefield, MA 01880-1315
voice: (781) 213-2114
email: dean.sturtevant@comverse.com