RE: The mark tag My comment on SSML working draft 5 April 2002.

Dear Adhemar,

Thank you for your review of last year's specification draft.

We have officially Rejected this request.
Here's our response:

>>> We have two responses to this. First, we use a special element
>>> rather than allowing every "id" attribute to act as a mark
>>> because it could be expensive to stream back an event for every
>>> "id" you encounter during production, especially for a small-
>>> footprint device using a network-based synthesis processor.
>>> Second, we use a "name" attribute on the mark element because
>>> that's a better description of what it is. If you'll notice,
>>> the schema actually uses ID as the type. In short, XML id's
>>> are generally used as anchors for external references *into*
>>> a document -- you can never have too many -- while
>>> <mark name= ...> is primarily used to convey information back
>>> while processing the document.

If you believe we have not adequately addressed your request,
please let us know as soon as possible.  If we do not hear
from you within 14 days, we will take this as tacit acceptance.

Again, thank you for your input.

-- Dan Burnett
Synthesis Team Leader, VBWG