TTS for Semitic languages

From: Jeff Kusnitz <jk@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:42:01 -0700
To: www-voice@w3.org

I was discussing TTS for Semitic languages with the WAI group the other
day, and we had some general questions that I was hoping people with
experience in the area might have be able to offer some input.

The questions center on experiences when rendering text with versus
without vowels.  A human would most likely not have problems reading
something written whether or not it contained any vowels (assuming the
person spoke the language).  How does a TTS engine do though?  Is the
output reasonable when no vowels are present in the input?  I'm not sure
how to qualify reasonable - either "the output is understandable", or
possibly something more quantitative, possibly "60% of the words are
pronounced correctly".

Thanks,
Jeff