Re: free toolkit

From: Pavel Cenek <pavel.cenek@itek.norut.no>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:19:31 +0100
To: Silvia <Silvia.Berti@guest.cnuce.cnr.it>
CC: Www-Voice <www-voice@w3.org>

> I would know if there is a free toolkit to edit and test voiceXML
> application for windows ME.
> Thank you very much.
> Silvia

Silvia,

as far as I know there are only 3 free VoiceXML toolkits/platforms/projects.

1. OpenVXI (http://fife.speech.cs.cmu.edu/openvxi/)
An open source library for interrpeting VoiceXML markup. However, it is
only a core and you have to implement all the stuff around - grammars,
inputs and output facilities, etc. There are some very simple simulators
available in the distribution.

2. PublicVoiceXML (http://www.publicvoicexml.org/)
A project based on OpenVXI. I know very little about it but seems to be
WinNT/2000/linux only

3. Elvira (http://gin2.itek.norut.no/elvira/)
A VoiceXML platform free for non-commercial use. Comes with all the
components you need to start testing VoiceXML immediately without any
programming on your desktop computer using a microphone (or even without
it if you wish). I think it is exactly what you want.

All three projects are also presented in the last issue of VoiceXML
Review (http://www.voicexmlreview.org/)

You can edit VoiceXML documents in every text editor, as far as I know
there is no free editor focused directly on VoiceXML.

BTW if you want to know about (almost) all what exists in the world and
has a relation to VoiceXML, visit Ken Rehor's World of VoiceXML
(http://www.kenrehor.com/voicexml/)

    HTH

        Pavel

  Pavel Cenek   Ph.D. student         email: xcenek@fi.muni.cz
  Laboratory of Speech and Dialogue   www: http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xcenek
  Faculty of Informatics, MU Brno     lab page: http://www.fi.muni.cz/lsd

  Currently affiliated with Norut IT  http://www.itek.norut.no/itek/
  Tromsoe, Norway as guest researcher
  Elvira - VoiceXML platform          http://gin2.itek.norut.no/elvira/
  Core technology for building dialogue applications and voice browsers