Changing barge in during speech recognition

From: Mark Clark <marclark@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:44:47 -0700
To: <www-voice@w3.org>
Cc: "Amit Barave" <amitb@cisco.com>
In section 4.1.5 you make the following statement:

"In the case where several prompts are queued, the bargein attribute of each
prompt is honored during the period of time in which that prompt is playing"

I am concerned about the scenario where a barge in *true* prompt is followed
by a barge in *false* prompt while waiting for speech input. I have not yet
encountered a speech recognition engine that allows recognition to ignore
input once recognition waiting has begun.

It would seem reasonable to me that for Speech Recognition, if a barge in
*true* is followed by a barge in *false* prompt, that the *false* (and any
subsequent false settings) would be ignored by the speech recognition until
the next transition state.

I see no problem for the reverse condition. If the first prompt is barge in
*false*, then just play the prompt without starting recognition. Only when a
barge in *true* prompt is encountered is the recognition waiting started.

Mark Clark
Cisco Systems
Software Engineer, CCBU
(408) 902-3450