Re: ABNF: "public" does too much

From: Krause, Stefan <Stefan.Krause@Scansoft.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 03:32:43 -0500
To: "'jf_jackson@hotmail.com'" <jf_jackson@hotmail.com>
Cc: "'www-voice@w3.org'" <www-voice@w3.org>

Jim,

Thank you for your comments on SRGS. I'm sorry for the delay in
replying.

(This is the reply from the Voice Browser Working Group to the
following mail:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2003JanMar/0002.html)

As you mentioned, the SRGS spec does not distinguish between the
notions "top-level" and "activation". Therefore, "public" has just
the following two meanings:
- A public rule may be referenced by other grammars;
- A public rule may be activated for recognition (as top-level syntax
  of spoken input)

A possible distinction of these two meanings is one of the "Features
under Consideration for Future Versions" listed in Appendix I of the
SRGS spec.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Stefan Krause (ScanSoft)
on behalf of the Voice Browser Working Group