RE: Shadowing of a <link>

Hi Tobias,

We did something like this as an extension in our VoiceXML interpreter (see
cafe.bevocal.com).  We added a "universal" attribute to <grammar> that lets
you turn any grammar (including one attached to a <link>) into a universal
grammar.  Then you can use the existing "universals" property in VXML 2.0 to
enable and disable the grammar at will.  We thought about proposing this for
inclusing VXML 2.0, but it was so late in the process that we knew we
wouldn't have a chance.  When 2.0 settles down and the committee starts
working on the next version, we'll probably propose this or something like
it.

In the meantime, I can't think of an easy way to do this without an
extension.  The best approach might be to make your application highly
dynamic, and have each form be dynamically generated by a JSP each time you
transition to it.  The JSP can include only the links that need to be active
for that form on that particular invocation.  This won't do wonders for your
performance, but if you have a fast enough JSP server it may be good enough.

Laura Werner
BeVocal