From: Dave Burke [mailto:david.burke@voxpilot.com]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 22:25
To: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: Implementation issues with the VoiceXML 2.0 LCWD (20020424) XML
Schemas

Hi,

I have recently noticed a number of issues with the XML schema strategy
for VoiceXML 2.0 (20020424) and SRGS CR (20020626) and SSML WD
(20020405). Obviously I have missed the LCWD call for comments by a
considerable amount but did not notice any relevant CRs and think my
comments could be of some benefit for a future draft.

I must add the disclaimer that I only have limited Schema experience. In
addition, I should note that the issues outlined below were provoked by
attempting to use Java Xerces 1.4.4 (which only has beta Schema
Recommendation support and is not necessarily a reference implementation
- although in general I find the C++ and Java parsers excellent...).

Hope this is of some use,

Dave

David Burke BE MEngSc

Chief Architect
Voxpilot Ltd
Quantum House
Temple Road
Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Mobile: +353 86 6055086
Office: +353 1 2091922
email: david.burke@voxpilot.com <mailto:david.burke@voxpilot.com>

Issue 1
=======

+ Synopsis:

The files, grammar-adapter.xsd and synthesis-adapter.xsd, should not
<include> the schemas they
redefine.

+ Suggested solution:

Remove - inclusion is implicit in the <redefine> element.

Issue 2
=======

+ Synopsis:

The prefix vxml: is not required (and undefined) in grammar-adapter.xsd
and synthesis-adapter.xsd

+ Suggested solution:

Omit as it is implicit via the default xmlns in each of these documents.

Issue 3
=======

+ Synopsis:

It *seems* the <redefine> element can only employ extension or
restriction of base types - not both.

+ Suggested solution:

Verify this to be true and maybe consider using a
grammar-adapter-extension.xsd and grammar-adapter-restriction.xsd with
vxml.xsd including the later, which in turn redefines a restiction the
former, which in turn redefines an extension of grammar-core.xsd.

Issue 4
=======

+ Synopsis:

<redefine> can only perform limited redefinition by extension or
restriction. Specifically this
means that omitting parent elements/attributes is not possible nor is
loosening restrictions
in redefined types. This affects, at least:

- grammar-adapter.xsd attempt to make SRGS 'version' attribute to
optional - not possible as it is not
more restrictive than its base which is 'required'

- synthesis-adapter.xsd attempt to use a union of types for the 'type'
attribute of say-as - again not
more restrictive

+ Suggested solution:

Make base types more general - this might mean changing SRGS and SSML
schemas.

Issue 5
=======

+ Synopsis:

The grammar-adapter.xsd and synthesis-adapter.xsd files should start
with the usual xml prolog.

+ Suggested solution:

Add the XML prolog and use consistent encoding across all VBWG
specifications e.g. VoiceXML 2.0 LCWD
and SRGS CR use different encodings (UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 respectively).

Issue 6
=======

+ Synopsis:

In vxml.xsd the simpleType 'Boolean.datatype' uses enumeration with
xsd:boolean, which is illegal.
(ref. Section 2.1 W3C XML Schema Part 0: Primer)

+ Suggested solution:

Use xsd:string and 'true' and 'false' enumerated values.

Issue 7
=======

+ Synopsis:

In grammar-adapter.xsd 'grammar-header' and 'grammar-body' groups are
undefined.

+ Suggested solution:

Omit - not required if doing an <extension> or <restriction> of base
grammar

Issue 8
=======

+ Synopsis:

The <redefine> element must contain <extension> or <restriction>
grandchildren. This is
a problem with grammar-adapter.xsd and synthesis-adapter.xsd.
(ref. Section 4.2.2 W3C XML Schema Part 1: Structures)

+ Suggested solution:

Add <extension> or <restriction> as necessary.

Issue 9
=======

+ Synopsis:

In vxml.xsd the anonymous complexType child of element should allow
mixed content.

Suggested solution:

Add mixed="true"