RE: using get or post method in submit element

In addition, I would consider it bad style, if not a violation of the semantics of HTTP, to modify state on the server with a GET method (such as updating a database).

Felix

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Burke [mailto:david.burke@voxpilot.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 18:01
To: www-voice@w3.org; Robert S. Willner
Subject: Re: using get or post method in submit element

Hi Robert,

The GET and POST methods are contained within the HTTP 1.1 specification
(RFC2616). The VoiceXML 2.0 spec. in turn references the HTTP spec. and thus
the two methods supported by <submit> are not vendor specific but standard.

GET vs POST depends on what the application developer wants to do. GET sends
data (submit's namelist) as part of the URL. POST on the other hand sends it
as part of the body. Generally, POST is better for sending large amounts of
data and also for sending user specific data (using GET usually results in a
log entry in web servers for the requested URL and thus includes the data
sent). GET might be simpler for some server side scripts (it is easier to
debug at least) and also might be useful if the requested resource needs to
be cached. Finally, there are two common encodings that POST uses and both
of these must be supported by VoiceXML 2.0 conforming interpreters. These
are 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' and 'multipart/form-data'. The
former is typically used to send variables (as strings) and the later used
to send binary data (such as a recording via the <record> tag).

Hope this helps,

Dave