RE: how are orthographic equivalents for tokens documented?

At Friday, September 07, 2001 8:21 PM, Al Gilman wrote:

[with much snipping...]

> The rough idea is that the model from which the
> voice-accepting dialog is generated should contain sufficient
> information so that a dialog using other-than-speech input
> [screen forms, command line text, ...] could be derived
> [by a program, not a programmer -- but it could be a large and
> compute-intensive program] as an alternate view or access
> mode of the service

There are already several existance proofs that command-line text interfaces
to VoiceXML applications are possible.  The Vocal Scripter on our web site
at http://cafe.bevocal.com is one, and there are several others out there.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how well VoiceXML forms would map to HTML
forms in this regard.  VoiceXML forms are typically much more directed, so
if you wanted to present a VoiceXML application to the user as a series of
Web forms, it would not be a straightforward mapping of one VoiceXML form to
one HTML form -- it would have to be a bit more complicated.  But it could
probably be done.

Laura Werner
BeVocal