Comments for Last Call Working Drafts

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:49:44 -0800
To: www-voice@w3.org
Just a few comments about the speech grammar and synthesis Last Call
Working Drafts [1,2].

The markup, embedded CSS, and overall presentation is well done and
easy to follow. One suggestion is to mark up elements and attributes
as XHTML code, for example, <code>item</code>, rather than quote them
as "item". No added color would be necessary.

Regarding the embedded style, I have been told that hex values are
better supported in old browsers than RGB. In Netscape 4.x Mac,
"list-style: none;" renders as a question mark for each bullet and
should be omitted. In IE 3.x Mac, "background" color is supported;
("background-color" is not). Also, when declaring a background color, a
text color is needed; #000 would be fine.

Finally, both Working Drafts have extensive "future study" sections.
When and if the drafts move to higher maturity levels, I think these
sections should be cut and moved to another location, possibly linked
from the Voice Browser Activity home page. Somehow speculating would
seem out of place in a Recommendation. What do you think?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-speech-grammar-20010103/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-speech-synthesis-20010103/

--
Susan Lesch - mailto:lesch@w3.org  tel:+1.858.483.4819