Re: [Moderator Action] NL Semantics Markup Language for the Speech Interface Framework

Many thanks for your comments. You may be interested in the recently
published revision to the XForms specification which I believe
addresses the points you raise:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/      (19 December 2000)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Evelyne Viegas wrote:

> Here are some comments on the following working draft:
> Natural Language Semantics Markup Language for the Speech Interface
> Framework NL semantics markup (20 November 2000):
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/nl-spec/> http://www.w3.org/TR/nl-spec/
>
> The specification mentioned above seems to be fairly broadly defined so that
> it could be extended to accommodate the needs of various semantic
> interpreters, as mentioned in the following section of the specification:
> "Extensibility: The specification should be extensible to accommodate
> emerging and future capabilities of  automatic speech recognizers (ASR's),
> natural language interpreters, and voice browsers. For example, it should be
> compatible with statistical ASR's, mixed initiative dialogs and multi-modal
> components."
>
> There seems to be some issues in the choice of XForms (as defined in
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xforms-datamodel-20000815/>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xforms-datamodel-20000815/) as the data model
> for the representation in the NL semantics markup language. A later version
> of the specification should try to address questions 1. and 2. below (which
> were raised by your comments in Section 7.6 included here for reference):
>
> 1.	How to add to the data model and have a DTD? How to combine multiple
> data models so that developers do not have to duplicate redundant
> information in all domains?
>
> "It would be highly desirable if components in the dialog system could
> extend the data model so that grammars or reusable components could return
> information that is additional to a base data model for, say, a time or date
> component or grammar. With the current XForms specification it would be
> necessary to provide a complete new data model in these cases. It is
> possible that the Xforms working group may extend the Xforms specification
> to include extensibility of the data model."
> 2.      How to account for semantic interpreters which make use of the
> principle of compositionality?
> "Similarly, the current XForms data model definition does not provide for
> the re-use of complex type definitions, i.e. groups, in multiple locations.
> Thus, to represent travel information consisting of both an outbound flight
> and an inbound flight, it is not possible to define a single complex type
> "flight_details" that is used for both outbound and inbound flight
> information."
> Regards,
>
> Evelyne Viegas
> Microsoft Corp.
> Natural Language Group

Regards,

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
W3C Visiting Fellow, see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 771 213 7629 (mobile)