[Fwd: [Fwd: Voice Extensible Markup Language (VoiceXML) - Working Draft]]

From: Silterra, Enrico <rs@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:09:39 -0500
To: Scott McGlashan <Scott.McGlashan@pipebeach.com>
Cc: www-voice@w3.org
Example of problem with interpretation of FIA using new wording and
default expansion.

--
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. (William Blake - The
Marriage of Heaven and Hell)

attached mail follows:

Rick,

> Dan,
> I appreciate your comments.  I forwarded them to the WG -
> Could you give me an example of how events would be handled differently given the new
> wording?
>
> Thanks.
> Rick Silterra

Try this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<vxml version="1.0">
<form id="x">
  <field name="abc" type="boolean">
    <prompt>Is this a test?</prompt>
    <filled>
      <prompt>Executing filled element for form item abc.</prompt>
      <if cond="!abc">
        <throw event="nomatch"/>
      </if>
    </filled>
    <nomatch>
      <prompt>Executing form item abc nomatch handler.</prompt>
    </nomatch>
  </field>
  <nomatch>
    <prompt>Executing form level nomatch handler.</prompt>
  </nomatch>
</form>
</vxml>

Under current standard, I believe this should execute as:

--> speakingTTS ' Is this a test?'
--> activating field grammar boolean(boolean)
--> enter voice data
no
--> speakingTTS ' Executing filled element for form item abc.'
--> deactivating field grammar boolean
--> speakingTTS ' Executing form level nomatch handler.'

Under the reworded FIA, it would execute as:

--> speakingTTS ' Is this a test?'
--> activating field grammar boolean(boolean)
--> enter voice data
no
--> speakingTTS ' Executing filled element for form item abc.'
--> deactivating field grammar boolean
--> speakingTTS ' Executing form item abc nomatch handler.'

The current standard says that a form item <filled> element is a notational
convenience for a form level <filled> element which explicitly names
the form item, so that the following transformation of the program should
be equivalent:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<vxml version="1.0">
<form id="x">
  <field name="abc" type="boolean">
    <prompt>Is this a test?</prompt>
    <nomatch>
      <prompt>Executing form item abc nomatch handler.</prompt>
    </nomatch>
  </field>
  <filled namelist="abc">
    <prompt>Executing filled element for form item abc.</prompt>
    <if cond="!abc">
      <throw event="nomatch"/>
    </if>
  </filled>
  <nomatch>
    <prompt>Executing form level nomatch handler.</prompt>
  </nomatch>
</form>
</vxml>

but under the new wording, it would not be the same.

Hope this helps.

Dan

--
Dan Evans, Executive Director, Software Development
Periphonics - A Nortel Networks Company