RE: http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis

Dave,

I'm the chairman of the W3C Voice Browser Working Group.

We have held several discussions about scripting langauges, including the
strengths and weaknesses of XSLT, both in the full Voice Browser Working
Group, and in the subgroup dealing with this specific issue.  After several
weeks of discussion, we needed to make a decision so our work could move
forward.

We used a prepublished methodology for determining which scripting facility
to use with our grammar specifications.  First, every working group member
had a chance to state their position.  This gave everyone a change to
express their opinion, and to lobby for their perferred solution.  Next,
every company then voted for their perferred solution.

As I recall, the basic reasons Workin Group members did not choose XSLT
included members feeling uncomfortable with the new XSLT, a large ramp-up
effort to use XSLT, and additional implmentation effort for XSLT when
implmenetations of other scripting languages already exist.

We eliminated XSL from contention because only 4 of the 22 companies voted
for it.  With this little support, XSLT had little chance of of gaining
concensus from the remaining 18 companies, especially after several weeks of
discussion.

Regards,

-Jim Larson