Re: Specification of SVG header with DOCTYPE TRANSITIONAL

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:51:33 +0100
To: "Anthony Judge" <anthony.judge@gmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 27 Sep 2017, at 10:23, Anthony Judge wrote:

> I have a bunch of old SVG standalone files which used to work in
> various browsers. Using the validator I get messages relating to the
> mismatch between attributes which are only recognized with
> TRANSITIONAL DOCTYPE.

What attributes?

> However there is no clear indication of how to
> specify the TRANSITIONAL (loose) DOCTYPE when specifying an SVG
> document.

This doesn’t make much sense. As far as I know, SVG never had a
Transitional Doctype. That was an HTML 4 thing (roughly meaning “Has
stuff which you should use CSS for now” but designed to cope with the
lack of CSS support in browsers two decades ago).

> <!-- <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
>   "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"> -->

That is an SVG Doctype.

> <!-- <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> -->

That’s HTML. It shouldn’t be on an SVG document.

> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1 Transitional//EN"
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

That looks like an HTML system identifier with a made up public
identifier suggesting SVG. It’s just wrong.