Re: Source of HTTP Content-Language header

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Widmer, Christoph <
Christoph.Widmer@sonova.com> wrote:

> The W3 Validator reports a content language warning for my
> www.f3historic.com website. It says that
>

> The value of the HTTP Content-Language header is "*fr"* but it will be
> ignored because the html start tag has lang="*en*".

It is a warning only, since the conflict is resolved by the specifications.
In principle, however, programs might use the Content-Language header value
when dealing with the docuement as a whole. So it is useful that the
problem is pointed out-

> I checked all files and couldn't find any reference to the content
> language header being set to French. Could you please modify the W3
> Validator such that it shows the location of the content language header,
> just like it does for the HTML start tag.
>

> It is nowhere in the HTML document. It is in HTTP headers that accompany
it and are sent according to some logic. This cannot be studied from
outside, only “inside” the server. We can just see the headers sent. They
can be inspected using various debugging tools in browsers or, perhaps best
for casual use, using an online HTTP header viewer like
http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html

Perhaps the validator should echo the HTTP response headers, at least if an
option for that is selected. However, there’s a risk in adding the amount
of output. And if you had to check an option to get the headers, the odds
are that users who would need them would not find it and understand it.

Yucca