Re: List of broken links and other issues: https://fonts.gstatic.com/

From: Jens Oliver Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 13:45:12 +0200
To: Art and Scores <artandscores@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C WWW Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
> > 2. Result:
> >
> > Line: 184 https://fonts.gstatic.com/Status: 404 Not Found
>
> b) That’s there to “preconnect” to the Google servers so they can serve your
> Google Fonts faster. Going directly to the URL won’t work, but it’s doing
> things in the background to speed up the website

Actually not, unless I misread respective spec (not overly familiar
with it): https://w3c.github.io/resource-hints/#dfn-preconnect.
“Resolve the URL given by the href attribute” suggests that that
address shouldn’t be fictional but actually available. It’s not, as
the link check and yourself, too, found out.

> c) You can find the same thing in the new Twenty Seventeen theme by
> WordPress.

It seems to me that the Twenty Seventeen theme may needs updating.

> d) I believe the link checker needs updating to ignore preconnect parameters
> for cases like this.

It seems to me that the link checker does everything correctly. It’s
highly unusual to reference, let alone demand to reference,
non-existing or offline sources.

--
Jens Oliver Meiert
https://meiert.com/en/https://uitest.com/