Re: Bug in validator

From: Fuqiao Xue <xfq.free@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:27:28 +0800
To: Marcos Del Sol Vives <marcos@dracon.es>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Marcos Del Sol Vives <marcos@dracon.es> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The validator fails to fetch any file hosted on a domain that contains any
> character valid in Unicode 8.0 or newer.
>
> Thus, http://xn--9s9h.ws (FOX FACE emoji, added in Unicode 9.0) fails with
> "Invalid host: An ACE label does not contain a valid label string.", while
> https://xn--6o8h.ga/ (DRAGON FACE emoji, added in Unicode 7.0) works.
>
> Both are valid according to IDNA2003 (which still is in use by .ws, .tk and
> .ga amongst others), so I suppose the error would be that you may be using
> an old version of ICU4J that does not properly validate newer characters.

I guess so.

The checker uses ICU4J 54.1.1[1], which includes data from CLDR 26 and
support for Unicode 7.0[2].

Footnotes:

[1] https://github.com/validator/validator/blob/7d61c18adc730a1b664ec10cabaa7d617269b2da/build/build.py#L141
[2] https://sourceforge.net/p/icu/mailman/icu-announce/?viewmonth=201410