Phishing scam using validator.w3.org

From: John Holley <john_holley@me.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 16:53:49 +1200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Just came across a new form of phishing scam - the poor fool who called me wasted 10 minutes of his life 🙂

He asked me to go onto my Mac and do a google search on validator. The top hit was validator.w3.org. (Now I know the site is valid, having used it a lot

What he then asked me to do was enter my email address (I used a false one) and the site returns a whole lot of errors - which is correct. He then said the errors meant my email address was corrupt and I needed to log onto their Mac server so they could fix things. At this point I told him he was an idiot and I was just wasting his time - he didn't sound happy!

Just a heads up.

John Holley
john_holley@me.com
+64275952625