Re: wrong language warning

22.9.2016, 23:43, Marcus Beyer wrote:

> Nu Html Checker thinks my Chinese page is in English:
>
> https://validator.w3.org/nu/?showoutline=yes&showimagereport=yes&doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.take-a-screenshot.org%2Fzh%2F
> <https://validator.w3.org/nu/?showoutline=yes&showimagereport=yes&doc=http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/zh/>

It’s just a wrong guess. Ignore it.

If you are interested in knowing why the tool makes the wrong guess,
here’s the start of textual content of your page:

    English
    Español
    Português
    Deutsch
    Nederlands
    ­

    close
    Tweet

    close

      * Mac
      * Windows
      * iOS
      * Android
      * Chrome OS
      * KDE Plasma
      * GNOME
      * Websites

Windows

Looks mostly English (and surely not Chinese) to me, and apparently to
the checker, which seems to look at the start of the content only.

I think the experimental language guesser in the checker should be
disabled. It guesses wrong too often, and it causes confusion like this
and makes it more difficult to deal with real problems.

And when it guesses right, detecting a mismatch between actual content
language and declared content language (typically caused by authoring
tools that routinely insert lang="en"), what’s the use? Sometimes it may
help people to fix the lang attribute value, but such attributes are
generally ignored by relevant software anyway. For example, Google
ignores it and uses its own language-guessing technology.

Yucca