Re: Reason for "Non-document error"?

Hi Mike--
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It's a problem with all external websites. I'm waiting to see if it's okay to share the log from my computer.
Will be back in touch.
Mike

    On Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:39 AM, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:

 Hi Mike,

Mike Elledge <melledge@yahoo.com>, 2016-06-15 20:40 +0000:

> I have a local instance of the Nu HTML checker installed on my computer
> and have no problems when I validate a local file. When I attempt to
> validate a website,

Any website? Or just one particular site?

> however, I get a "Non-Document Error" message.

When that happens the checker logs the cause on the backend, in the form of
a stack trace. The place that it logs that by default (unless you have
configured some other separate logging location) is just the console window
where you ran the command to start the checker. That is, wherever you ran
“./build/build.py run”.

So if you can check that window and examine the stack trace there you might
be able to determine on your own what’s failing and why. But if not, please
post copy of the stack trace or to some pastebin.

> I looked through the documentation but couldn't find an explanation. Any
> thoughts for why this is happening?

A “Non-Document Error” message could be caused by any of some dozens of
different problems. The only way to know the cause is too look at the stack
trace the checker logs in the backend environment where it’s running.

  —Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike