From: John E. Davey <sixa369@mwt.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 14:02:58 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org
WC3 People--

This weekend, the validator at https://validator.w3.org/nu/ started
issuing a "warning" "recommending" the addition of this <html dir="ltr"
lang="en-US"> tag to my web pages.

While this may seem simple, especially to CMS's  doing this to 100's of
hand coded pages is a momentous job, perhaps impossible in my current
health condition.

I need to know if this is going to remain a warning and recommendation
or if you plan on turning this into an error or what...and why? I have
taken the hand coded pages from quirks mode to XHTML transitional to
HTML5. At least twice, out of nowhere, a subtraction from my header tag
was required...which I tediously did. After years, suddenly, on 4th of
July weekend in the U.S. this tag addition appears.

Please inform me if you are just going to keep recommending this, or if
this will turn into an outright error.

Regards,
John E. Davey