Re: Questions about your validation service

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:56:08 +0900
To: Sandro Rümmler | Grafik- & Webdesign <kontakt@sandro-ruemmler.de>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

> i am a developer from germany and currently develop a website checker-tool.
> A part of this tool is to validate a website. Currently it do's that with
> your validation service.
>
> *My questions now:*
> /1. Is there a request restriction by IP for your service? /

Yes. The W3C does rate limiting for all its checker services (but does not
provide the details about the request patterns that will trigger rate
limiting—in part because the system is periodically tuned and refined, so
the details can change).

> /2. Did i have to name your service at my tool? /

No, you are not required to provide any kind of attribution.

But I would suggest that rather than having your tool send requests to the
W3C checker, you either host your own instance of the checker HTTP service

See http://validator.github.io/validator/#web-based-checking for details on
how to run the service. And for details about the HTTP API you can use with
it, see https://github.com/validator/validator/wiki/Service:-Input:-POST-body

  —Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike