Re: Wish to avoid expermental validator, it is annoying

On 2/5/2016 10:37 AM, David Dorward wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2016, at 16:29, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>     comprehensible format
>     https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc.... gives ??????
>     Even it admits it's of questionable usefulness.
>     [https://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html]
>
>     I can trust the first. When I go to https://validator.w3.org
>     how can I /FORCE/ the first to be used.
>
> As far as I know, just using the form at https://validator.w3.org
> will use the old checker (unless, of course, you have an HTML 5
> Doctype or override the Doctype detection since the old checker
> doesn't have any support for HTML 5 at all).
>
> --
> David Dorward
> http://dorward.co.uk/

Thank you for the reply.
In frustration I garbled my last sentence. I wanted to say I
preferred the older checker as I'm used to it's reporting format
[personally believe it is clearer]. Especially the summary line
listing number of warnings and number of errors.

Your reply gave me the hint I needed to resolve things to my
satisfaction.

The first line of the page that went to the old version was:
The first line of the page which went to the experimental version
was:
   <!DOCTYPE HTML>
If I force checking the second as "HTML 4.01 Transitional", I get
what I want. The same errors are reported. My web usage is very
text oriented. I disable JavaScript and background images &/or
color schemes to improve readability.

My primary use of https://validator.w3.org/ is to give useful
feedback to sites which give me problems.