Fatal Error: Empty document, with no root element

From: Garrett Sutherland <garrett2222@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:26:56 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello,

I am taking an HTML class, but believe I know enough to say there is something wrong with the validator. Attached is the most basic html file I could imagine. There is the skeleton with charset defined and hello in the body (i’ll copy it below in case opening attachments isn’t allowed). Still this error persists!

"Fatal Error: Empty document, with no root element”

Am I missing something or is it the validator?

Thanks, Garrett Sutherland

<!DOCTYPE html>

<head>
    <title>Page Title</title>