Earlier query 146db775e9

From: mhosken <m.hosken01@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:10:14 -0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hi Folks,

My earlier query was trying to make sense of "The element a must not appear as a descendant of the a element."  I simply couldn't understand it.  Mulling things over during my midday snooze (allowable at age 82) I realised a possibility.  My "Contents" tabulation had an id - and that had been specified with <a code: was that the trouble?

And so it turned out to be.  Intuition said that <a id="This"> fulfilled a function: I had left it at that.  Referring back to the on-line tutor I discovered that EVERY <a has to be terminated with a </a>.  Duly inserted, the whole thing passed the W3C validation - hoorah!

Suggestion:  Instead of "The element a must not appear as a descendant of the a element." it might be more helpful to say something like "An a element cannot appear within an extended a element: it is likely that an earlier a element requires closure with </a>."

Validation's a wonderful facility.  Keep up the good work.

Mike