Re: typesmustmatch xhtml

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, 2014-11-11 07:56 +0200:

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:56:10 +0200
> From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
> It is. The validator just has an issue. And it has it even when
> sending as text/html; the error message is then “Attribute
> typemustmatch not allowed on element object at this point.” (The part
> “at this point” was once meant to be helpful in some contexts, and I
> might have been the person who suggested it, but I’m afraid it is
> misleading more often than helpful. Here it seems to be saying that
> the placement or context is wrong; but the issue is really that the
> validator does not recognize this attribute at all.)

IIRC, the "at this point" language comes straight from the third-party Jing
RelaxNG schema-checking tool that's at the core of the validator. The error
messages that Jing emits are notoriously lacking in helpfulness but more
generally the problem is that any general grammar-based schema-checking
tool is necessarily going to be limited to emitting some fairly generic
boilerplate-ish types of error messages. That's one of the reasons why
these days I've moved more and more of the error-emitting logic out of the
RelaxNG schema and into custom Java code in another part of the sources.

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike