Re: Implied ARIA Roles

2014-07-22 15:50, Craig Francis wrote:

> When validating a document with an @aria-sort attribute, the validator
> requires that a @role should also be specified.

Yes.

> As I'm adding this on a <th scope="col">, isn't this already implied by
> the markup?

No, because the specifications do not say that the scope attribute has
an impact on default ARIA semantics.

> I've also brought this issue up on SO:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24863531/using-aria-sort-in-validated-html5

I wrote a longer reply there.

In a nutshell, the validator acts according to the specifications. The
aria-sort. This sounds redundant, but if you wish to raise an issue, it
needs to be an issue about HTML specifications.

(I don't think it would be successful. We cannot expect that in general
a <table> element represents a grid. It can be argued on good grounds
that it is reasonable to expect so if a cell has a scope attribute,
since such attributes would be nonsensical in a pure layout table. But
the rules for setting default ARIA semantics on the entire table on the
basis of an attribute on a cell would get complicated, and ARIA and its
relation to HTML is already a mess^H^H^H^H rather complicated.)

Yucca