Re: Possible validator error

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:22:13 +0200
To: Gus Gustafson <gggustafson@gmail.com>, www-validator@w3.org
2014-02-11 16:39, Gus Gustafson wrote:

> The following element is not marked as invalid:
>
> <link type="text/css"
>
> rel="Stylesheet"
>
> media="screen,print"
>
> href="CSS/GGGustafson..css"/>

It is valid in any flavor of XHTML, including XML serialization of HTML5.

> I believe that the rel attribute value should be flagged as not being in
> lowercase.

The attribute is declared as having a case-insensitive value, according
to HTML 4.01:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#adef-rel
and also according to HTML5 CR:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#linkTypes

In XHTML, tag and attribute names are case-sensitive, but whether an
attribute value is case-sensitive or not depends on the definition of
the attribute.

Besides, in XML validation, the rel attribute values are not inspected
at all, since the attribute is declared with a CDATA value, so
rel="Hello world!" would pass, too. HTML5 has its own idea of
validation, where the value is actually checked against a list of
allowed value (but in a case-insensitive manner).

Yucca