Re: [VE][html5] Error while validating role="navigation" and role="group" on HTML5 document

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 13:26:10 +0300
To: Thomas Beer <t.beer@mvnet.de>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
2013-09-09 12:00, Thomas Beer wrote:

> Error [html5]:
>
> 1.Bad value group for attribute role on element ul.
> <ul id="group1" role="group">…</ul>
>
> 2.Bad value navigation for attribute role on element ul.
> <ul role="navigation"*>…<*/ul>
>
> NOTE:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#aria-role-attribute
>

>           I think there is no error in the document structure because of
>           section 3.2.7.1 „ARIA Role Attribute“.
>
> ·Every HTML element may have an ARIA |role
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/infrastructure.html#attr-aria-role>|
> attribute specified.

Every element may have the role attribute, but the values of the
attribute are limited by other rules. Specifically, 3.2.7.4 (Implicit
ARIA Semantics) says that for the ul element, "Role must be either
directory, list, listbox, menu, menubar, tablist, toolbar, tree or
presentation".

A list of navigational links can be wrapped in a <nav> element, or in a
<ul> without role attribute, since the default role=list is adequate.
(The element is a list as such.)

Yucca