Re: Error on generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt

2013-09-03 13:39, Jan P. ẃrote:

> Am 03.09.2013 11:43, schrieb Jukka K. Korpela:
>> 2013-09-03 12:20, Jan P. wrote:
>> Why would you need to satisfy the validator? The validator is there to
>> serve you, not vice versa.
>
> Good point. However, I am trying to create valid HTML5, and when I
> decide to put a note to the generated pages that they are conform to the
> standard, I don't want anyone who tests that to see any error messages.

Then don’t do that; say “No” to “Valid HTML” icons:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html#icon

With HTML5, you have the added reason that the validator is experimental
software testing against a mutable draft. So a page that validates now
might be reported as invalid if checked ten seconds later.

> Sadly I do not have any information about the images
> but the file names.

That’s unfortunate, but then the best you can do is to generate alt
attributes from the names, probably taking just the last part of the
path and excluding the trailing part that begins with a period, so that
e.g. src="images/foobar.jpg" would generate alt="(Image: foobar)".

>> While it might make sense to issue one message only, I don’t think any
>> time should be sent in improving a feature that should not be there at
>> all. Besides, not reporting an error when there is an easily detectable
>> violation of the specification (the nonsensical attribute) does not
>> sound like validation to me.
>
> 'That should not be there'? Now that really is a matter of HTML5
> specifications, not validation.

Yes, that’s a matter of HTML5 specs, specifically about their
requirements and notes on validation. The requirements are currently
illogical, if not self-contradictory, so there is clean way to check
against them.

Yucca