Re: Validation bug - XHTML 1.1 and XHTML+RDFa

Jukka K. Korpela, Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:56:46 +0300:
> 2013-08-29 0:30, Liam Morland wrote:
>
>> Why am I still getting an error for using @lang in XHTML+RDFa 1.0?
   [ … ]
>> I would appreciate it if the validator would updated to use the most
>> current DTDs.
>
> The DTD mentioned is dated 26-Jun-2009. If it has a bug, perhaps it
> hasn't been noticed, since the DTD is used so little. The DTD at
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-1.dtd

> is newer and does not have this problem.

I don't know if the DTD of XHTML+RDFa 1.0 can be - or has been -
updated via “the backdoor”. If possible, why not do it. But I think the
following is the explanation for Liam’s question: XHTML+RDFa is based
on XHTML 1.1. And XHTML 1.1, did until 2010 *not* include the @lang
attribute as valid attribute.

However, in XHTML 1.1 Second Edition was issued on 23rd of Noveber
2010, and from then on, the @lang attribute is supported.[1] However,
XHTML+RDFa 1.0 was issued before that date,[2] it could not support
@lang. By contrast, XHTML+RDFa 1.1 explicitly declares that it was
based on XHTML 1.1 second edition and therefore supports @lang.[3]

I beleive he moral ought to be: Stop using XHTML+RDFa 1.0. Use
XHTML+RDFa 1.1 instead.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/Overview.html#status

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-rdfa-syntax-20081014/

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa/#h2_sotd