Regardless of the DOCTYPE I specify, always says "DOCTYPE Override in effect!"

From: Brian Barnett <brian@calcxml.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 11:51:16 -0600
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I can put any DOCTYPE declaration at the top of my page and I always get the
warning:

"DOCTYPE Override in effect!"

Even if I put in HTML 4.01 Strict, which is what it is overrided to, it says
it is overriding it.

The detected DOCTYPE Declaration "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">" has been suppressed and
the DOCTYPE for "HTML 4.01 Strict" inserted instead, but even if no errors
are shown below the document will not be Valid until you update it to
reflect this new DOCTYPE.

And here is line 1 in the source listing used for the validation:

*  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><!-- <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> -->

It is replacing the exact same doctype line!! Why would it do this?

Thanks,
Brian Barnett