Re: False positive on metadata name

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 03:32:54 +0900
To: Julian Matz <julianmatz@netlink.ie>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Julian Matz <julianmatz@netlink.ie>, 2013-03-20 00:25 +0000:

> The error message is as follows:
>
> >  Line 10, Column 109: Bad value google-translate-customization for attribute name on element meta: Keyword google-translate-customization is not registered.
> >
> > …ustomization" content="xxx....xxx">
>
> However, the metadata name "google-translate-customization" is
> registered at
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/MetaExtensions#Registered_Extensions

It's not properly registered. The "Google documentation" hyperlink there
goes to http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.nz/2012_05_01_archive.html,
which is a blog posting, not a spec. And that blog posting doesn't actually
even mention "google-translate-customization" at all, as far as I can see.

> My suggestion would be to either stick to the official, original specs,

The HTML spec is the official, original, spec. And it formally references
the WHATWG wiki page.

> and remove the message about WHATWG, or stay updated with the WHATWG
> wiki/database. Otherwise, it's confusing.

In this case, the "google-translate-customization" is intentionally not
supported, because it's not properly registered. If somebody cares to take
the time to properly register it by linking to an actual specification that
defines what it means, that'd be great.

  --Mike