Re: Grails meta tags markup errors

2013-01-05 14:02, Sascha Meissner wrote:

> Web-Applications using the Grails-Framework do applicate their templates
> with a syntax like:

> wich is highlighted bei markupValidationService as an error because this
> meta tag may appear in the body as well as in the head section and
> "layout" is not a valid name for the meta-Element in HTML-5.
> Take a look at
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13062121/grails-meta-name-layout-w3c-html5-invalid-markup-validation

As explained in the approved answer there last October, you get the
error message about missing itemprop when trying to use <meta> outside
<head>. Somewhat strangely, the W3C Markup Validator seems to check
against WHATWG documents, not the W3C HTML5 Candidate Recommendation -
because the latter does not allow <meta> in <body> at all, whereas the
former allows it if the "itemprop" attribute is present.

The answer also explains why "layout" is reported as an error and points
to the WHATWG Wiki for proposing additions to allowed "name" attribute
values.

> As Grails is an more often used Framework I would like you to think
> about adding this specification so that Grails-Users can also get a
> fullfilling green light from W3.

If desired, you can use such arguments when proposing an addition in
WHATWG Wiki.

"Fullfilling green light" would still be illusionary. It does not make
an attribute any better supported in relevant software to have it added
to the WHATWG Wiki, and it does not make the framework any better - it
would just hide the fact that the framework is using <meta> tags in a
questionable manner.

Yucca