How does the css validators handle portions not yet approved?

From: wayne <wdhammond@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:41:55 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org
I am having a discussion with a group that only allows CSS2.1 because
the verifiers do not have any experience with CSS3.  I want to be able
to use the selectors for tables.

The verifiers use the w3c CCC2.1 validator and, since what I want to use
validates in the CSS3 validator, I need a rebuttal  to ensure invalid
code won't be passed by the CSS3 validation service.

Wayne