Re: Web address in link causes errors (that are not of my making!)

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:25:26 +0000
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Nigel Brown <nigel.brown@live.com>

On 9 Feb 2013, at 21:02, Nigel Brown <nigel.brown@live.com> wrote:

> I have a line of code in the Sitemap on my web site at http://www.nigelbrown..me.uk/my-sitemap.htm that gives rise to 2 validation errors and 3 warnings. It is a link to a website (the Guestbook). But these “errors” and “warnings” are not problems with my code; it is because the validation does not like the Guestbook web address.

No, it isn't. It is because you are writing the address as if it was in a text document instead of an HTML document.

> How can I help this?

Follow the instructions provided under the error message.

To quote them for you:

The most common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in URLs as described by the WDG in "Ampersands in URLs".

Entity references start with an ampersand (&) and end with a semicolon (;). If you want to use a literal ampersand in your document you must encode it as "&amp;" (even inside URLs!).

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk