Re: Nested a elements validate okay?

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 08:59:26 +0000
To: "Kyle J. McKay" <mackyle@gmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 28 Dec 2013, at 3:46, Kyle J. McKay wrote:

> According to http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#prohibitions a elements may
> not contain other a elements at any depth.  Neither does HTML allow
> nesting of a elements.
>
> Is this a known limitation of the validation service?

It is a known limitation, but not of the service per se. The problem is
that the DTDs for XHTML do not express the rule that one anchor cannot
be a descendant of another anchor. I think I read somewhere that XML
DTDs cannot express that type of rule.

The rule is expressed in the HTML 4.01 DTDs and in the HTML 5 validation
rules.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/