Re: [VE][html5] Add Subject Here

2013-08-12 8:07, Windra Asrah wrote:

> Validating http://windraseptamadya.blogspot.com/
> Error [html5]: ""

The validator now says "Passed, 1 warning(s)". Did you fix the issue?

Unfortunately, you message spent about a week on a W3C server before
getting distributed to the recipients of the mailing lists. I'm afraid
the list is losing much of its usefulness unless the problems causing
such delays (which are not uncommon, though a delay this long is rare)
will be fixed.

> & did not start a character reference. (& probably should have been
> escaped as &.)

This is a longstanding issue. The authors of the specifications and the
authors of the validator seem to disagree on whose rules are to be
applied. Please remember that the validator is experimental software
that checks against an mutable draft, presumably some relatively recent
version of HTML 5.1 Nightly.

> But the wrong is in my href, not in the inner of this HTML

By HTML rules, character references are interpreted in href attribute
values as elsewhere. The dispute is what happens when something starts
like a character reference but does not constitue one.

> Allowed and valid:
> <a>&amp;</a>

Yes, in all versions of HTML.

> Allowed, but invalid:
> <a>&</a>

Allowed and valid in all versions of HTML except those using XHTML
syntax, such as HTML5 in XHTML serialization ("XHTML5").

> Allowed and valid:

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but href="a&b" would create the
disputed situation in HTML5. Some people say it's OK. Some say it's not.
In any case, browsers deal with it without problems. And both browsers
and validators deal with href="a&amp;b" without problem. The issue is
whether authors should be "forced" to use the latter in order to pass
validation.

> Suggestion:
> in href and src, no &amp;, but &.

Validators cannot (or should not) decide on such matters. They are
expected to check against rules set elsewhere, not (re)define the rules.
In this case, it is practically impossible to have the rules changed,
because character references have always been allowed in attribute
values, and disallowing &amp; would invalidate *illions of existing
pages that work on all browsers (as far as this feature is considered).

Yucca