Re: HREF attribute on A and AREA elements is not required

From: <ian_bruce@fastmail.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 01:55:43 -0700
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:27:39 +0100
Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> I have a feeling that something like this has come up previously. Do
> you (for example) have an "alt" attribute associate with the <area> ?
>
>     If the area element has no href attribute, then the area
>     represented by the element cannot be selected, and the alt
>     attribute must be omitted.

I did, and removing it fixed the problem, as suggested by that quote.
(From where?)

That should be the text of the error message; "Element area is missing
required attribute href" is highly misleading.

"Element area must have both href and alt attributes, or neither" would
be even better. There used to be an HREF, which is what required me to
add the ALT in the first place.

-- Ian Bruce