Re: HTML5 Validator doesn't appear to understand colspan

2012-10-11 11:27, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> In HTML5, colspan is OK. What is not OK is the "table model". It's
>> explained, in a rather formal way at
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/attributes-common-to-td-and-th-elements.html#table-model
>>

> Confused, Jukka.  When you sat "What is not OK is the 'table model'",
> do you mean (because of the immediately preceding "In HTML 5, colspan
> is OK") that "the table model is not OK in HTML 5" (which is how I
> read your words) or that "the table model is not met by your markup",
> where "your" = "Steven Delahunty's" ?

The latter. Sorry for my ambiguous and confusing choice of words.

> And if the former, in what way
> is the table model not OK in HTML 5 ?

To the extent that I understand it, it's OK and an improvement over
"classic HTML" specifications. But the formulation is, as said, rather
abstract, not something you'd like to read over breakfast. If someone
could write down (or track down?) a tutorialish explanation, it would
surely help in dealing with validator error messages, too.

Yucca